We are looking for a head roaster to join our production team. The Head Roaster will work closely with our Green Coffee Buyer, Production Staff, and Coffee Educators to support our wholesale operations and retail locations.
As Head Roaster, your job duties will entail:
– Fulfilling our roasting needs on a Diedrich IR5 with the help of an assistant roaster, and working with our Green Coffee Buyer to establish roast profiles for new coffees
– Sample roasting purchasing samples and landed coffees
– Liaising with our Coffee Educators to help educate and train our staff, including developing new education classes
– Be an active participant within the coffee community by conducting detail market analysis of the coffee industry.
– Liase with our marketing team to ensure proper and complete information for all offerings
– Production cupping and espresso quality control
– Cupping with our Green Coffee Buyer/Ownership for purchasing decisions
– Maintaining Daily Roast, Quality Control, and Cupping reports
– Regular roaster maintenance and cleaning
– Religiously reading on industry trade publications to keep Hidden Grounds at the cutting edge of our market.
– Must have high level of attention to details. Not just while roasting (which is a whole thing), but also, numbers/codes, inventory, dates, tags, spreadsheet. Also planning, forecasting and some math. Roasting is very much a science but most of the work is extremely glamour less.
This job requires regular heavy lifting on a regular basis in a tight work environment. You must be able to multi-task and be a quick thinker. No job is too big or too small for this position, regular cleaning and maintenance is to be expected.
This is a full-time position working 40 hours or beyond. Compensation package is based on experience.
To succeed in the Head Roaster position you will need to have a killer willingness to learn and establish an expert understanding of how the process of roasting works from end-to-end.